Does radio advertising actually work?
The answer is a simple one: it depends.
Some radio ads are catchy. Some radio ads are just annoying. Some are entertaining, but have no call to action. Some have a clear call to action but are so uninspiring, they fade anonymously into the dashboard.
And then there are those pesky car radio buttons.
These days, the radio buttons are right at the drivers’ fingertips, mounted on the steering wheel. So even though rush-hour travelers seem like a captured audience, they can shuffle the radio dial faster than a TV remote control.
So here are five helpful tips to develop effective radio advertising:
- Know your audience.Know their need states, their habits, personal likes, and, most importantly, dislikes. The message must resonate and strike a cord to break through the clutter.
- Be original.Whether using humor, a jingle or an interesting story, you must entertain them enough for them to be willing to listen to it time and time again. Thus, creating enough frequency to have them respond to the call-to-action.
- Be authentic.Don’t do a funny radio ad just because your CEO likes funny radio ads. Make sure the messaging and tone are authentic to your brand. If your brand is fun and whacky, then be fun and whacky. If it’s a bit more genuine and down to earth, then give the radio talent a bit of likable twang.
- Don’t be cheap.Even in the world of user-generated content, your listeners can tell the difference between shoddy and professional production value. A poorly produced radio commercial can instantly cheapen your brand. Why have the station DJ bang out some slap-dash, one-take radio spot when for a small investment you can produce something of quality? Hire professional voice talent and use a professional studio and sound designer. You can use it across multiple stations and maybe even use it on a video voiceover.
- Assign metrics.Measure the performance of the campaign. If you don’t, you will never learn what worked and what didn’t. There are a number of metrics to choose from. Incorporate dedicated phone numbers, call monitoring, online landing pages or promotional offers. Always measure! Continue what is working, dispense what is not.
Even in this time of digital everything, good ol’ radio is still a very effective medium…when done well, that is. So get out there and cut through the clutter with radio advertising that gets noticed. And even better, gets the phone ringing off the hook.
With our tried and true process and award-winning team of creative, digital and social pros the result is always the same. Buzz about your business. Real results. Connect with us to amplify your brand.